Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Motives and Answered Prayer

"What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because  you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on what you want." James 4:1-3 

It's too bad James doesn't just tell you what he's really thinking! Again, James doesn't mess around, he just gets right to it. Have you ever prayed and didn't get an answer, or at least not the answer you wanted? Here is another self-check from James. 

Are you in strife? Striving is different than trying really hard to do the right thing. Striving in the flesh is not the same as seeking to do God's will with all you heart, soul, and mind. What is being described is someone who is having issues, quarreling, with everyone around them. For some people, everything turns out to be an argument. James uses the words "kill and covet". Those are pretty strong descriptors of someones actions and motives. You see, there is a difference between telling someone you know you like their car and you'd like to have one yourself and coveting it. Think about that...

I sometimes struggle with the idea of having pure motives. I am not sure I can ever have entirely pure motives. But, God knows that I am by dust. He knows I am human. He knows I have a sinful nature. The issue is if I am seeking God about what I am asking for and trying to put others needs before my own. 

Self-check question of the day: Am I coveting or caring (for others needs above mine)? 

Father, help us to seek you and seek to serve others. Build your kingdom through and in us! Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment