Monday, January 6, 2014

IS IT OK TO ASK GOD WHY?

"If I have sinned, what have I done to you,
     O watcher of men?
 Why have you made me your target?
     Have I become a burden to you?
 Why do you not pardon my offenses and forgive my sins?
 For I will soon lie down in the dust;
     you will search for me, but I will be no more."
 Job 7:20-21

Job loses his entire fortune and his family, except his wife, whose advice was to curse God and die (Job 2:9). His best friends come and sit with him for seven days and wait for him to speak. Then Eliphaze basically says you get what you deserve (3:7-8) and you reap what you sow. Pretty much saying, "You had to do something to deserve this, so, check yourself." 

In chapter 1:5 we are told that Job offered sacrifices for his children. I think we can safely assume he offered them for himself because in 7:21 he asks God, "Why do you not pardon my offenses and forgive my sins?" Job did not think he was sinless, that is why he looked to God to pardon and forgive him. 

The lesson is that it is OK to ask God why? Asking God why is different than demanding, "How dare you?" Job knew God to be just and forgiving, Sovereign and compassionate. The prevailing theology of the day, that if you suffered you suffered because you sinned, did not make sense to Job because he knew his relationship with God was good. We can see from the context of the book that he was suffering because Satan just hates people who love God and his desire is to ruin their faith (read our faith if you will).

If you are suffering it is OK to ask God why. Maybe you do need to check yourself (I often suffer self-inflicted wounds), maybe not. Whatever the reason, God reigns and God loves you. 

Father, thank you that we can seek you in our suffering. Comfort us and reveal yourself to us as we wait on you. Praise be to you in us today!  

No comments:

Post a Comment