Monday, January 13, 2014

STRAIGHT A's vs THE ROCK

But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness.
James 3:17-18 (NIV)

Many moons ago when I was in middle school, we called in Jr. High School, there was a boy a year ahead of me. He was a straight A student. Somehow a football got caught up in a tree. The straight A student took a football sized rock, stood directly below the ball in the tree, with two hands threw the rock at the ball, hit the tree and the ball, the ball flew out, the rock came back down and hit the straight A student in the forehead and almost knocked him out. Of course everyone wanted to know first, why, if he was so smart didn't he move? Then they asked if he was OK. 

The point, some wisdom is not all that wise. Dictionary.com says that wisdom is "the quality or state of being wise; knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgement as to action; sagacity, discernment, or insight". 

James reminds us that wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure. If you don't know what is true or what is right, your wisdom will be corrupted or at best misled. The world is all about self-fulfillment. Godly wisdom is honoring to God. When I make choices and decisions I ask if the results will bring peace (say to my marriage)? Is it considerate of others? Is it submissive as in being inline with the Scriptures? Will I be acting with mercy, being impartial and sincere? What is the fruit of my actions? 

Here is the bottom line: being wise sows peace and results in righteousness. Acting in wisdom, godly wisdom results in a doing the right things, righteousness. When I know I did the right thing, I am at peace. 

Father, help us to seek your wisdom and act accordingly. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment