Tuesday, August 28, 2012

No Need to Jolt, Be Gentle

When I first became a Christian I was pretty zealous. I did not want to see anyone suffer the snares of sin. So, I often tried to "warn" people. I was nicknamed "the rebuke squad." Although I was sincere in my desire to keep people from sin I was not always gentle. At that time there was a pastor named Romaine who was known for being blunt and not pulling any punches. I had the pleasure of talking with him one time. One on one he was one of the most gentle people I have ever met. Not wishy-washy, just gentle. I learned through those experiences that although the truth can sometimes be a cold splash of truth in the face, I don't have to throw it in peoples faces. The Holy Spirit can speak to anyone He wishes. Paul told the Galatians,
"Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But, watch yourself, or you may be tempted." Galatians 6:1
What this means to us is that when we deal with each other, we are to be gentle and seek each others restoration. We are all going to sin. That is not an excuse, just a realization. The truth, no matter how gently delivered, can be quite a jolt. So, we need to be there ready to steady our brothers or sisters and help them to get their footing again. 

The other side of this is that when dealing with sin, it is like dealing with a sick person. You want to take care of them without catching what they had. Not everyone is as tempted in the same way. But, if you are dealing with someone who is struggling with a sin you struggle with, watch yourself. 

Father, forgive us our sins. Help us to encourage each other and to help each other to overcome sin and this world. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment