Friday, August 3, 2012

How We Do Things

My first real job was at a super market and to this day I remember many of the things said to my by my manager. He was called "Red", because of his hair or maybe his fiery insistence on good customer service. Many times he would say, "That's not how we do things here. The customer is always right." When we consider our lives in this world as Christians and how we interact with those who are actually at war with us, we may need to become a bit warlike. Paul tells us that, 
"For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we  fight with aren't the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." II Corinthians 10:3-5
The reality is that we as Christians too often fight our spiritual battles on the enemies terms. When I was in High School I wrestled. One opponent I wrestled was about 6" taller than me. I wrestled him twice. He one the first time, I won the second. The difference was that the first time I tried to use leverage and that was in his favor. The second match I took away his leverage and won quiet easily despite the fact I was weakened by the flu. The point is spiritually speaking we need to battle by faith in Christ's power and trust in God's Sovereignty. If doing the right thing will put me at odds with others, so be it. I will graciously do what God says is right. 

Father, help us to trust in You and demolish the enemies strongholds in our minds, lives, families and work places. Help us to live by faith, in love. Praise be to You in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment