Thursday, December 18, 2014

In the Batter's Box of Life, Listen to Christ.

While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”
Matthew 17:5  NIV 

I was managing my youngest son's baseball team about a year ago and there was this one father who could be very encouraging. But, he could also be a bit overwhelming at times too. I kind of had to throw him out of the dugout. Then, he would tell his son what to do when he was up to bat. That's OK, except it would sometimes go against what my first base coach was signaling him to do. The poor kid would be up to bat, look over to the coach, then get in the batter's box and his dad would be trying to signal him what to be doing and his head would be going back and forth and then the pitch would come and you could just see that too much was going on in his head. He really struggled at the plate because he was trying to listen to the coach and his dad. I finally had to ask his dad to stop because it was confusing his son. 

I think sometimes we are a bit like that kid in the batter's box. We might go to church, read our Bible a bit, but we listen to a lot of other stuff too. The world is always trying to tell us something. We just need to listen to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment