Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Is There a Way Prepared in You?

The beginning of the gospel about Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
It is written in Isaiah the prophet:
"I will send my messenger ahead of you,
   who will prepare your way"-
"a voice of one calling in the desert,
'Prepare the way for the Lord,
   make straight paths for him.'"
Mark 1:1-3

Tomorrow is the last day of 2014. Wow, 2015. Honestly, there has been times in my life when I never thought I would make it to 2015. So I am thankful for God's faithfulness in my life. 

In the Gospel of Mark we read about the beginning of the gospel about Jesus Christ, the Son of God. We are told about the way being prepared for Jesus. Prepare the way and make straight paths for him. 

We have a new year coming up. I am not good with New Year's resolutions, but I do believe in redirecting myself from time to time. This is a good time to think about what is directing me and what is motivating me to make decisions. If it is not what God would have me do, then I should change what I'm doing and/or what is motivating me. 

Here's the questions I think these verses ask me. First, am I prepared for the Lord to work in my life? Second, I am making straight paths for the Spirit of the Lord to work in me? 

What can I, what can we do? Here are a few things I think we can do:
  • Give God time. Remember, a few minutes are better than none. A simple honest prayer is better than a long repetitious prayer meant only to say you did it. 
  • Be honest with God. He already knows. You're still alive. So, there must be something he wants for you. 
  • Do good where you are at. Let's get real here. For me today, doing good was (to start) putting the clean dishes away before my wife got up so she didn't have to. 
  • Serve. This kind of goes with the last one. Specifically, do something to serve at your church. Just ask, they'll put you to work. Frankly, I have never truly felt a part of a church unless I was serving. 
  • If the Spirit moves, move. About a month ago I felt compelled to email a note to a missionary couple I pray for. They needed to get in touch with someone we mutually know. I was the needed link (one they didn't have if I had not of heeded the Spirit's moving), though I was unaware of the urgency of the situation. 
If you have more ideas, please post them in the comments section. 




No comments:

Post a Comment