Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Your Hands Are Dirty, So What?

Jesus called the crowd to him and said, “Listen and understand. What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean', but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean'.”
Matthew 15:10-11 NIV

Jesus has an amazing way of taking things straight to the heart of the matter. The Pharisees and teachers of the law were concerned about seeking God outwardly. They were focused on the disciples eating without washing their hands because that was a tradition of the elders. A tradition of the elders is not a commandment, it's a rule created by the religious leaders to try and keep people from breaking the commandments. 

Jesus then explained it further by saying, "But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.' For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. These are what make a man 'unclean'; but eating with unwashed hands does not make him 'unclean.'" ( Matthew 15:18-20) So, we should be concerned with more about our hearts than our hands. (Yes, I do wash my hands before eating. Except when camping, working construction or otherwise away from soap and water.) 

I can wash my hands all I want and that will not keep me from sinning. The only thing that I know of that will wash my heart is the forgiveness of my sins by the death of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment