Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Got Religion?

Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:26-27 NIV

It starts with my tongue, the  intersection of thought, choice and action. When I speak I am committing myself to a specific pathway of action. My actions are the fruit of my beliefs.


Religion is the outward manifestation of our beliefs, what other people see. James isn't saying to not be religious, he's saying to serve orphans and widows. Orphans and widows (in New Testament times they were unable to work) are people who can't care for themselves.

The goal is to humbly serve others and to do this without being caught up in the sins of the world you are trying to minister to.

No comments:

Post a Comment