Thursday, October 2, 2014

What Bothers Me About You Is the Reflection of My Issues

I attend a men's Bible study on Wednesday mornings and we have been making our way through the epistle of James. I sit with a great group of guys and a pretty good group dynamic has developed. A very nice gentlemen has joined our group lately. Observing him try to "lead" us along is interesting. The rest of us are comfortable with a moment of silence while we process whatever is being asked of us to discuss. Our new friend, I think, sort of sees us as a rudderless ship and he better get the conversation going. This week we looked at James 1:19-27. Verses 19-20 of course warranted much of our discussion. 

My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. 
James 1:19-20 (NIV)

Personally, waiting, being quick to listen to what the other men say has allowed me to hear some very wise words that I very much needed to hear. Even if I am the first to speak, I try to speak less so that I can hear what the Lord is speaking to and through the other guys. 

Now, one other thing. A pastor of mine once said that the imperfections of others was easy for us to notice (or bugs us) because it's like looking in the mirror. So I ask myself, am I bothered by someone else being quick to speak because I am quick to speak?


No comments:

Post a Comment