Sunday, October 5, 2014

Are You Focused on the Water or the Fairway?

Do not fret because of those who are evil
   or be envious of those who do wrong;
for like the grass they will soon wither,
   like green plants they will soon die away. 
Trust in the Lord and do good;
   dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
Take delight in the Lord,
   and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Psalms 37:1-4 (NIV)

I golf. Not very well, but I do golf. One of my problems is focus. I'm not the only one. Whenever water is in play it acts like a golf ball magnet for a lot of us. I think it's because when you think about not hitting your brand new ball into the drink your focus goes there and that's where your shot goes. It is especially true when your "well meaning" partner quietly says, "Don't hit it in the lake", just before your tee off. 

What does that have to do with Psalm 37? It's all about focus. Am I focusing on what non-believers are doing or on the faithfulness of God? Although I need to be cognizant of the traps the enemy will set out in my life, I don't need to go examine them, walk all around them and see how close I can get to them. 

God has created us to have many desires. The way of the world is to fulfill their desires via any means possible. As a Christian we are supposed to trust God to meet all our needs in Christ Jesus. Psalm 37 tells us to trust God and do the right thing. Spend you time trying to do what you know is right. God will take care of the rest. 

In golf you are supposed to focus on the fairway. In Christ we focus on Christ's faithfulness while serving him and others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment