Monday, October 13, 2014

Are You Religious?

Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:26-27 (NIV)


My mom used to always say, "You better watch your mouth. Somebody is going to give you a bloody nose!" I had a tendency to argue and talk a bit of smack. It is a wonder I never really got popped a good one (or two). Though I did talk my way out of a few confrontations, I also managed to talk myself into quite a bit of trouble. 

How this applies to Christianity is that if I talk about being a good Christian, I better act like  a good Christian. Frankly, this is about serving others. It's not about talking about serving, it's about just serving. If I tell my wife I love her but leave the dishes in the sink for her to get, that's not serving. If I ignore the person at work who is struggling and don't help them because I might have to stay fifteen minutes later, that's not serving. Do you get it? Christ sacrificed, Christ served. So should I.

1 comment:

  1. How are we to serve, by whose orders, this worlds or God's lead, and all in all who gets the credit for the service I or you do?

    ReplyDelete