Monday, December 16, 2013

WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO?

"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." James 1:22

I believe A.W. Tozer said, "Self deception is the worst kind of deception." If I just go to church and change nothing in my life, if I do nothing any differently than before, what's the difference? 

Let's just get it straight. Going to church does not make you a Christian. It's a good thing, it just doesn't mean anything if you don't act accordingly. Putting on a Laker uniform doesn't make me a professional basketball player. It's doesn't even mean I know how to dribble a basketball. 

This is where it gets real. I have been walking with Christ since I was in high school in the 70's. There has been times when I honestly looked at myself and realized that I wasn't acting on what I knew was true. My decisions, my choices, and my actions were not of faith. I was not doing what the Word of God says. I was in sin. 

I'm married. We are going on our eighteenth year. I have a lot of friends who are married and a few that are divorced. If you don't do what the Bible says; love, respect, and forgive each other, I don't know how you can stay married. Honestly, it's usually more about inflexibility than infidelity. The Bible tells us to love as Christ first loved us, which is when we didn't want it and didn't deserve his love. What usually holds a marriage together is when you love your spouse when they are unloveable. 

What do you need to do?

Father, help us to do what your word says to do. Praise be to you in us today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment