Tuesday, December 10, 2013

LET THE JAMBALAYA MATURE

"Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:4 (NIV)

I was watching Throwdown with Bobby Flay on the Food Channel once and they were cooking jambalaya. The local jambalaya king said the key was to let it alone once you had the rice in it. So of course Bobby Flay didn't leave it alone, he kept taking the lid off and his rice didn't come out right. The jambalaya king didn't mess with his and his rice was perfect. The key was to let the pot do its work. 

I think our spiritual maturity is a bit like waiting for jambalaya to cook. We want to lift the lid and see what God is doing. We get impatient and start asking, "Am I mature yet? Are you done, God?" I won't know if I am patient, until I need to be patient. I won't know if I am compassionate until an opportunity to show compassion presents itself. I guess the key is just letting God do what he wants to do and having the faith that he is in control. 

Maturity is not about reaching some spot where I can say I am mature and then I am done with it. Maturity is when I learn to rest in God no matter where I am at. Everyday is an opportunity to let God work in and through us. What does God have in store for today?

Father, help us to let perseverance do it's work in us to to love as you have loved us. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment