Tuesday, December 17, 2013

"I'M DONE,GOD!" REALLY?

"But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it - he will be blessed in what he does." James 1:25

I have been teaching sixth grade this year and one habit I have been trying to break them of is the, "I'm done, teacher!" thing. Usually they aren't actually done. Maybe they wrote "Yes" or "No" to a question that was asking for an explanation that demonstrates their understanding of some process we have been studying. Or they just wrote gibberish. 

Sending my wife a "Love you!" text (which is a good thing) is different than sitting with her while she tells me whatever she needs to tell me (and actually trying to listen). Reading the Bible tells me to love my wife. If all I do is send my wife a "Love you!" text every now and then, maybe that's my version of "I'm done, God!" Looking intently at the Bible tells me I need to be patient and kind with my wife, even if I don't feel she is being patient and kind with me. 

What I am getting at is that looking intently into the word means that I consider things on a deeper level. Hebrews 4:12 tells us that the word of God is a double-edged sword. Sometimes I should feel the truth cut me a bit. I should notice the plank in my eye when I am asking God to get the speck out of someone elses. I should listen...wait...listen, and then obey, do what I know is right. 

Look intently into the word of God. Don't rush. Let the Spirit work. Obey what you know is the best thing to do. 

Father, help us to wait upon you and to see and do what you want us to do, to love as you have loved us. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment