Friday, December 13, 2013

AN ANSWER FAST?

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." James 1:19-20

I don't know about you, but if there is something I consistently get backwards it is this. I'm slow to listen, quick to speak, and quick to become angry.  Which would probably explain most of the strife and confusion in my life. 

Major Ian Thomas, the founder of the Torchbearer schools, once said, and I quote, "The obvious is so obvious, that if often fails to be obvious." I believe that James 1:20-21's message is pretty straight forward. Stop talking, start listening and remember the grace - the death of Christ - that was required to save you. 

I once went on an answer fast. I didn't answer or speak for 30 seconds when someone said something to me. I spent a lot of time explaining why I wasn't talking. A few people suggested I do it more often. (Which of course was good I had to wait to respond to that comment.) What it showed me was how often I spoke out of anger or pure emotion and how thoughtless much of what I said really was. 

The righteous life is what God desires to build and see in us. We may be trying to build a happy life or a wealthy life or an exciting life. All that may happen but, God's primary concern is the righteous life in us, Christ in us, the hope of glory. 

Maybe it's time to remember that righteousness is the end God has in mind and so should we.

Father, help us to seek righteousness. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment