Sunday, October 13, 2013

WORST CASE SCENARIO: VICTORY

"Be merciful to me, O God, for men hotly pursue me; 
     all day long they press their attack.
 My slanderers pursue me all day long;
     many are attacking me in their pride.
 When I am afraid,
     I will trust in you.
 In God, whose word I praise,
     in God I trust; I will not be afraid.
     What can mortal man do to me?"
 Psalm 56:1-4 


When David was writing about being pursued, attacked and slandered he was not just speaking metaphorically. People were really pursuing him to kill him. There has been times when I felt like someone was trying to kill my career or slander me, but, not actually trying to kill me. For David, his fears were real.

In the end though, David says, "What can mortal man do to me?" Well, they could kill him. But David understood that then he would just go be with his Father, God. In Matthew 10:28 Jesus taught his disciples before sending them out, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both the soul and the body in hell." 

When it feels like the world is caving in around you. When people are against you and you think it's you against the world; trust in God. Sometimes we just need to remember that the worst case scenario (in our eyes) is we die. OK, not fun, but, then you are with God in heaven. So what can the enemy do to you, kill you?  

If I live I see God work. If I die, I see God. 

Father, sometimes everything is against us and we struggle to trust in you. Help us to rest in you and open our eyes to see you working in our lives. We trust in you, what can mortal man do to us? Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment