Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Good: Just Do It

Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and always to be gentle toward everyone.
Titus 3:1-2 NIV

Sometimes I think I'm always ready for a fight. Maybe it's because I deal with middle school students and there is always a few who spend every waking moment just trying to think of ways to cause mayhem. Or maybe I'm just contentious by nature.  

In contrast to the world, which teaches people to insist on and assert their own rights, as a Christian I am supposed to seek to put other first. What hit me this morning was the phrase, "be ready to do whatever is good". What does it mean to be ready to do good to my wife and children today? What does it mean to be ready to do good to those I will encounter at work or out and about doing chores? 

In a world of rebellion I am to be obedient to the law. Engulfed by social media where brutal unrestrained smack talk reigns, I am to slander no one. In this world of friction, inconsideration and arrogance I am to humbly be considerate of others as a peacemaker for Christ. Do whatever is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment