Saturday, June 6, 2015

What's Your Ambition?

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 NIV


The contrast between ambition and a quiet obvious. Often straight ambition makes you think about trying to succeed with glory. A quiet life makes you think about peace and stability. I think Paul is trying to get us to seek to live godly lives that glorify Christ, passionately, but, with humility and grace. 

Honestly, I think a lot of what I tried to do as a young Christian became more about me being known as a great Christian, rather than Christ showing himself great in me. The world glorifies the messenger. Christianity glorifies Christ. Christ in me, the hope of glory. 

Our genuine, humble service of others should gain their respect not their applause. We are not trying to look good as servants of Christ, we are trying to show Jesus' goodness to the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment