Thursday, October 15, 2015

To Serve is to Know

Those who have served well gain an excellent standing and great assurance in their faith in Christ Jesus.
1 Timothy 3:13 NIV

Notice Paul says,"Those who have served well", not, "led well." Knowing Christ is serving Christ. Quite often I get caught up in the notion that serving Christ is separate from knowing Christ. It's not that I consciously think that way, but naturally I tend to want to serve to prove myself worthy. 

I think truly serving teaches you that it's all of grace. Being a part of God's work in people's lives is humbling because you realize that you can't really change anyone, you can only love people. You also see that God does things in his own time. Serving also forces you to look outside yourself and see things from God's perspective. Seeing the Spirit work in yourself and others gives you that assurance that God loves you as is always working Sovereignly in your life. 

Being known as a someone who serves others is to have "an excellent standing" in your faith. This is opposite of the world where leaders are served by their employees. But, in the kingdom of God, the leader, like Christ, serves.

If I'm know for anything, I hope it's that I serve others and know Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment