Thursday, October 1, 2015

Immeasurably More

I'll be honest, most of the time when I pray, I pray within myself. What I mean by that is that I pray and ask with the limits that I can possibly foresee. It's not that I mean to try to limit God, I just naturally don't see things from an eternal perspective. 

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
Ephesians 3:20-21 NIV

When we pray, it is good to stop and remember that God is able to do immeasurably more that all we ask or imagine. Think about that. What is immeasurably more than you are asking for now? 

In 1:19-20 Paul describes God's power at work within us as the same as the mighty power that raised Christ from the dead and seated him at the Father's right hand. The same power that raised Jesus from the dead is at work within us. That is a lot of power. 

Honestly, I don't think I even get how much power that actually is. Probably because God is interested in changing my heart, my mind, my inner being, while I am interested in paying of my bills or something like that. When I think of power I think of pure brute force, which can often just destroy. The power that raised Jesus from the dead, brought life, not destruction. 

Where does God want to do immeasurably more than you are asking or imagining? Sometimes we are a bit afraid when we pray "Not my will, but your will be done" because we only think of what God may not do or take away. But God wants to do immeasurably more than we ask. 

Father, we come before you and ask you to do what you want, immeasurably more than we can imagine... 

No comments:

Post a Comment