Sunday, September 20, 2015

Have The Right Attitude

Then Jacob prayed, “O God of my father Abraham, God of my father Isaac, Lord, you who said to me, ‘Go back to your country and your relatives, and I will make you prosper,’ I am unworthy of all the kindness and faithfulness you have shown your servant. I had only my staff when I crossed this Jordan, but now I have become two camps. 
Genesis 32:9-10 NIV

Jacob had his issues but one thing he got straight was understanding his place before God. "I am unworthy of all the kindness and faithfulness you have shown your servant" was not a flippant repetition of a prayer, it was a verbal acknowledgement of his relationship with God. After all his time with Laban Jacob knows who he is. He knows that without God's kindness and faithfulness he would be lucky to still even have his staff. He knew he was unworthy. 

Now I want you to know I am not talking about some sort of false humility or some kind of twenty-first century self-esteem issue. Knowing who you are is a powerful truth. Knowing your God is sovereign and faithful, is truly powerful. To know that you are unworthy is not a slight on your self-esteem, it actually is an acknowledgement of the kindness and faithfulness of God. I think that is pretty much the "Blessed are the poor in spirit" attitude Christ taught his disciples. 

Know your place. Know your God. Have faith in his kindness and faithfulness he has given you in Christ Jesus. He is faithful and he will fulfill his work in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment