Saturday, September 19, 2015

Go...I Will Be With You

Then the Lord said to Jacob, “Go back to the land of your fathers and to your relatives, and I will be with you.”
Genesis 31:3 NIV
And he said, ‘Look up and see that all the male goats mating with the flock are streaked, speckled or spotted, for I have seen all that Laban has been doing to you. I am the God of Bethel, where you anointed a pillar and where you made a vow to me. Now leave this land at once and go back to your native land.’ ”
Genesis 31:12-13 NIV

When I read this about Jacob I realize how great the grace of sovereignty of God are. I mean I really can't say that we should emulate Jacob except that maybe he did work hard.  The Lord tells him to go back home and that he will be with him. It's not tell some time later, at least a season, that Jacob decides it's time to leave. 

The amazing truth is that God is still with Jacob, watching over his life, protecting him and blessing him. Jacob finally obeys, yet still deceives Laban and tries to sort of just sneak out of town. Isn't that how we are sometimes? We try to obey God, but, maybe we should just kind of fly under the radar and hope no one notices us trying to obey God. Or we try to help God out when we suggest someone do something rather than trust God to speak to them. And then we wonder why there is strife. 

Yet, God is sovereign, faithful and loving. He even warned Laban to not say anything to Jacob, good or bad. That's grace. That's God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment