Monday, January 5, 2015

Healing for Your Hearing

People were overwhelmed with amazement. “He has done everything well,” they said. “He even makes the deaf hear and the mute speak.”
Mark 7:37 NIV

A few years ago my wife told me I needed to have my hearing checked. The thing is that I could hear her, I just seemed to miss a word in the middle of a sentence. Apparently, loud music, years working construction, plus supervising screaming school children have had an adverse affect upon my hearing. 

The audiologist told me that the loss of hearing is not so much the 10% for one ear and 30% the other, but, that certain sounds become muffled, like say the "f, ph" sound.  That explained why sometimes I seem to miss just one word. It's as if my wife just covered her mouth for one word. Strangely, it always seems to be the most meaningful word in the sentence! She'll call me at work and ask, "Honey, on your way home please pick up some mmfppfff." Even when I say, "Pick up some what?" She thinks I'm not listening or paying attention. 

Spiritually, I think we get like this. We hear everything but the specific word we need to hear. We can go to church and somehow miss what the message was all about or how it applies to us. We read the Bible and find our thoughts wandering to the strangest places. 

If you remember the verses in the first part of Mark 7 you will remember that what goes into our hearts can determine what we choose to let out by our actions. 

The bottom line is Christ needs to heal our hearing and our speaking. The Spirit of God needs to fill us with living waters that will flow out our lives. The abundance of our hearts needs to be the grace, mercy and forgiveness of the love of Christ.

Father, heal us so we may hear you speak and that we may speak of your love. Praise be to you in us today.

No comments:

Post a Comment