Tuesday, May 6, 2014

In the Fire, Not Out

But now, this is what the Lord says—
   he who created you, Jacob,
   he who formed you, Israel:
“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
   I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
When you pass through the waters,
   I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
   they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
   you will not be burned;
   the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the Lord your God,
   the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
I give Egypt for your ransom
   Cush and Seba in your stead.
Isaiah 43:1-3 (NIV)

"What's the worse that could happen?" Does that question send a shiver down your back? Does a list start to form in your mind? Is there a catalog of past disasters from your live that you can review? I don't know about you but, sometimes I feel like my life is Murphy's Law incarnate. 

The truth is that God doesn't promise that we won't go through hard times, he does promise to be with us. He does promise that we won't be swept up or burned as we pass through the waters and the fire. He create us, formed us, and redeemed us. 

I think of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in the fiery furnace (Daniel 3). Because they would not bow down to the ninety foot image of gold they were condemned to death in the fiery furnace. The fire was so hot it killed the men who put them in the furnace. But, God was with them and they were protected from the flames. God was glorified in their trial. I will repeat. God was with them in the flames. 

What flames are you in right now? Know that God is with you. He created you, formed you, and redeemed you. He promises to be with you. 

Father, open our eyes to see you in the fire. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment