Monday, May 5, 2014

Scripture, Your Guide or Your Tool?

Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
II Peter 1:20-21

I recently just celebrated my eighteenth wedding anniversary. I'll tell you one thing I don't do and that is try and use the Bible to get my wife to act a certain way. I do try to read the Bible and by faith do what it says, like love my wife. How does Christ love me? That is how I should love my wife. 

The deal is that we seek to find God's will, not something in the Bible that backs up our will. 

A friend of mine once told me that you could make the Bible say anything you wanted. I said, "Really, what about where it says to not commit adultery?" Actually, you can misinterpret the Bible to say whatever you want, but, that is different than reading the Bible and just manipulating parts to say things the Spirit of God never intended to say. 

The key is God's will. Am I trying to find out what God has for me or am trying to figure out a way to get God to do what I want for me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment