Thursday, March 6, 2014

IT'S NOT ABOUT MANAGING SIN

For it is better, if it is God’s will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit. 
1 Peter 3:17-18 (NIV)

One of the books I am currently reading is Sticky Faith by Dr. Kara E. Powell & Dr. Chap Clark. One of the topics it discusses is sin management. Quite often we tend to just manage our sin rather than truly seeking to know God. The point is that Christ already dealt with our sin. All our sin. Past, present and future sins. 

Of course I don't want to sin. Of course I want to do what is right. But the issue is knowing Christ and the power of his resurrection. Many moons ago I attended a small Bible college named Columbia Bible College, in Columbia, South Carolina (it is now named Columbia International University). It's motto is, "To Know Him and Make Him Known". At the time I thought it was a bit hokey. But, as I have matured I have come to understand its simple depth. 

Christ, the righteous, died for me, the unrighteous, to bring me to God. He did not do this to give me a second chance at being perfect. He died to bring me to God. 

In Genesis chapter three the story of the fall of man is told. In verse 9 it says, "But the LORD God called to the man, "Where are you?"" In Christ we, without fear, say, "Here I am" and enjoy the very presence of God. Think about that...

Father, help us to enjoy your presence. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment