Monday, July 1, 2013

TODAY IN 1555 / Titus 3:1-3

"Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men." Titus 3:1-3

On July 1, 1555, John Bradford was martyred in England. While in prison he watched others being taken to be executed and said, "There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford." The phrase has become, "There, but for the grace of God, go I". I remember hearing it from my grandmother if there was someone who was poor or had a problem. It was always presented in a way that made me remember that I have and I am only what I have an am by the grace of God.  

In I Corinthians 1:26-29 Paul reminds us, "Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised thing - and the things that are not - to nullify the thing that are, so that no may boast before him." 

The to do is very simple. Approach everyone else with humility, remembering that, "There, but for the grace of God, go I." 

Father, thank you for your grace to us. Praise be to you in and through us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment