Friday, February 15, 2013

THE WORST SINNER: I Timothy 1:15-16

No one is more difficult to deal with than someone who is convinced of there own self-righteousness. Because everything will turn out to be someone else's fault. Paul took the opposite approach.  
"Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners - of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience  as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life." I Timothy 1:15-16
Humility is knowing exactly who you are before God. Paul knew exactly who he was before God: the worst of sinners. I might want to argue with Paul over that. And that is the point of what he is saying. We should all see ourselves as the worst of sinners. 

Realizing that without God's mercy you would be lost in your sins is the bedrock of our faith. Realizing that I am a sinner, the worst, is the bedrock of our interpersonal relationships. Without that humility we just look for fault in others. When you find fault in others you can demand that they change, rather than yourself. When you see others as sinners greater than you, you tend to find reasons they don't deserve mercy, second chances or patience. 

Realizing our own sinfulness is also at the root of evangelism. Like Paul when we realize the depth of the mercy and grace of God to us, the worst of sinners, we see the world as people in need of mercy and grace. We don't look down, we just reach out. 

Father, thank you for your mercy to me, the worst of sinners! Display your unlimited patience in me today! Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment