Tuesday, February 12, 2013

THE GOAL IS LOVE: I Timothy 1:5

Before I became a teacher I managed a Mimi's Cafe. The general manager had a style of leadership that I just don't respond well to. Every two weeks or so he would just go off and start yelling at everyone. His goal was to keep everyone on the alert and to make everyone pay more attention to little details. It just made people quit, it didn't make people better food servers or cooks. Apply that to Christian leadership. What should be the goal? The goal is love. 
"The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith."         I Timothy 1:5
The Apostle Paul tells young Timothy, who was dealing with "certain men" who taught false doctrine, that the goal, the end in mind is love. When people teach false doctrine, quiet often you will find a motive that is all about the person teaching it. I'll be honest, I get an inner red warning flag when someone name's their ministry after themselves. 

What do we need to concern ourselves with? Having a pure heart, a good conscience and a sincere faith. We of course are not talking about perfection, but I think a bit of humility sort of keeps us in check. When we are sincerely seeking God we know our own need for Christ. We also enjoy the forgiveness and grace that God provides in Christ. We love because he first loves us. He is our righteousness, holiness and redemption (I Corinthians 1:30). I don't deserve that love, that mercy, that grace and that forgiveness. But, I am thankful that I have it. 

The goal it to pass on that love from God to whoever God puts in our paths today. 

Father, grant us at least one redemptive conversation today. Use us in your kingdom! Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment