Tuesday, February 19, 2013

FIGHT ON & HOLD ON: I Timothy 1:18-19

I remember the day I truly committed my life to following Christ. It was at a summer church camp at Hume Lake during a share the bread and share the wine communion service. The next year I began attending a Bible study where I began to learn what following Christ was really all about. I & II Timothy have resonated in a special way for me because I was young when I first set my heart on serving Christ.  
"Timothy, my son, I give you this instruction in keeping with the prophecies once made about you, so that by following them you may fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience." I Timothy 1:18-19
The two lessons from these verses that are to fight on and hold on. 

Paul, wanted to Timothy to succeed so he wrote him the instructions we find in this book. He tells him to fight the good fight. Sometimes we hear the words meek and turn the other cheek and think Christianity is all about being passive. No. Paul realized that serving Christ is spiritual warfare. It is a battle for the souls of every human being on the planet. We each have our battlegrounds. Each one of us is engaged with the enemy daily, at home and work and everywhere in between. Fight on!

Hold on to the faith and a good conscience. Because we believe that Christ died for our sins, rose again to conquer sin and death,  and now sits at the right hand of the Father interceding on our behalf, we live accordingly. The Declaration of Independence says, "We hold these truths to be self-evident". The writers then acted according to those beliefs they held. In that same way, we hold to our faith in Christ and act according to that faith. The instruction we find in the Bible let us know how to engage in this battle. 

So, fight on and hold on. 

Father, thank you for your Word. Help us to fight the good fight and hold on to the faith we have in Christ. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment