Tuesday, December 8, 2015

You Are Full

For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority. 
Colossians 2:9-10 NIV

We all have a God shaped whole within our inner being that only Christ can fill. We usually try to fill it with just about anyone and anything else. Some are good things, like a godly marriage, working hard or even serving others. Some things are not so good, like ungodly relationships and activities. Even as Christians we can look to good things to fill that void and they were not meant to so we end up frustrated and bitter. 

Christ is our righteousness, holiness and redemption; our wisdom from God (see I Corinthians 1:30). He completely forgives us, makes us completely holy, and completely redeems us, in Christ. Now, when Paul was writing to the Colossians they were being confronted with many other beliefs and faiths. One of those "philosophies" insisted that to really know God you had to be part of their sect because they held the secret knowledge one needed to fully know God. They were also being inundated with groups from the Jews that were teaching that they had to follow the law (as demonstrated by their legalistic actions) if they truly wanted to know God fully. Paul reminds them that they "have been brought to fullness" in Christ. 

This past July I was offered a new position and I accepted. I am and educator so we were off for the summer. I didn't speak with my supervisor until we went back to work about a month or so later. Now, I knew I was offered the position, but, not until I started moving my stuff from my room to my new office space did it really start to "feel" real. Even though I had been given the new position I didn't really physically change anything until I moved into my new office. But, I did do some research and planning in the meantime. How does that relate to theses verses? We may not be in our new resurrection bodies yet, but, we are still God's people, his children, his chosen and holy priests, called to serve him and each other. We may not always feel holy, righteous and redeemed, but according to God, we are. We just need to live according to the truth. 

David said, "What shall I return to the LORD for all his goodness to me? I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the LORD." (Psalm 116:12-13) We have what we fully need in Christ. We just need to take hold of it by faith. You have Christ. You have fullness. You are holy. You are righteous. You are redeemed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment