Monday, November 30, 2015

Suffering for...

Now I rejoice in what I am suffering for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church. 
Colossians 1:24 NIV

I participate in a Precepts Bible Study class at my church on Sunday mornings and we are studying the book of Colossians. I made a comment about these verses and the person who was leading asked me to review these verses next week when I lead the study. The guy next to me looked at me and said, "Good luck with that."

I'm not going to get into the "Why do good people suffer?" topic. I'm just going to point out that like Paul, we sometimes suffer and God uses that suffering to strengthen his body, the church. Paul taught the Corinthians that "just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ" (II Corinthians 1:5). Now, we usually just hear the previous verses about God comforting us so we can comfort others, but we tend to overlook the suffering that needs comfort component. The point is that God uses our suffering for the sake of his body, the church. 

Remember we are the body of Christ, the living, visible, and active extension of Christ hear on earth. I don't know if someone needs to necessarily see us suffering so much as God uses our suffering. Not everyone saw Paul get forty lashes minus one, beaten with rods, pelted with rocks or shipwrecked ( see II Corinthians 11:23ff). He was beaten and pelted because he was preaching Christ crucified and shipwrecked and imprisoned because the enemy did not want the truth of Christ to be heard. So, if you suffer, look to Christ for comfort and press on to serve the Lord with all you heart, mind and soul.    

No comments:

Post a Comment