Friday, April 11, 2014

I Almost Waited Long Enough

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 
2 Peter 1:5-7 (NIV)

All I can think of is the story of Saul in I Samuel 13. Saul waited seven days in the face of the enemy and the army of Israel looking to him to lead them. He was waiting for Samuel the priest. He panicked and offered the offerings himself. Just as he got done, Samuel arrives.  Samuel tells him he acted foolishly by not keeping the command God gave him. 

What hits me, is the question of how many times I have been impatient and not persevered and tried to take things into my own hands? 

I don't want to condemn myself or anyone else because I know that God is forgiving, merciful and gracious. He is faithful and just to forgive us from all unrighteousness. I do want to remind us to patiently endure in our present circumstances. Whether that be a situation at work or at home, God, who began a good work in you, is faithful to complete that work. 

Father, help us to remember, even when confronted with unbearable pressure, to wait on you, to persevere. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment