Monday, April 7, 2014

DO YOU MANAGE YOUR SIN?

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 
2 Peter 1:5-7 (NIV)

I must admit that I have been struggling with these verses. Mainly because I have been wrestling with my understanding of sin management in my own life. You see, if I view these verses as a pathway to manage my sin I will fall into the sanctification/holiness by works trap. But, if I look at them as a pathway to participation in the divine nature then it's more about accepting the holiness God has given me in Christ (see I Corinthians 1:30). 

When Peter says to add to my faith goodness he is not telling me to remember to be good enough. He is just reminding me of the direction I need to point myself. Somehow an ungodly saying got into my head last week. Finally, yesterday I thought to think of a godly saying. So, I started saying to myself, "The holier, the happier". I know it's hokey. I wasn't trying to be a theologian. I was just trying to win the battle for my mind. I was trying to have a good thought, a virtuous thought aim my thinking, not an ungodly one. You know, it has helped me to redirect my thinking. Just a little effort to add goodness to my faith. 

Father, help us to add goodness to our faith. Thank you that you are our holiness (I Corinthians 1:30)! Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment