Thursday, April 24, 2014

Being Sure of Yourself in Christ

Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make you calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
II Peter 1:10-11

First of all I think that you only worry about your salvation if you  are saved. If you are not saved you don't care. Peter is talking to people of faith. Not just faith in general, but, faith in Christ. He's talking about knowing Christ. Peter is all about effective and productive knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 

Sometimes we don't see the work of Christ in our lives because we  sense the battle within ourselves. For example, I am a teacher and this year I am teaching sixth graders English and History. An aide who works with some special needs students I have in a few classes tells me she doesn't know how I stay so calm because there are several students who struggle with their behavior. I don't always feel so calm, but my reactions apparently reflect that I am continually trying to be patient and redirect students to be on task and help them understand the tasks at hand. 

My point is that sometimes while we are fighting the good fight we may only sense the tension of the battle, but, because we are seeking Christ our faith is becoming effective and productive, even if we don't notice it. Remember, Christ is faithful to complete the work he started in our lives (Philippians 1:6). 

Father, help us to keep sowing seeds of righteousness. Open our eyes to see the effective and productive fruit your Spirit is producing in our lives. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment