Monday, April 21, 2014

Efforts of Faith, Not Works

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 
2 Peter 1:5-8 (NIV)

Even though the verse says to "make every effort" I know that legalism is not part of the meaning. In other words, this is not a to do list that must be followed to the letter, and if I miss one part then it all falls apart. Legalism puts it all on me and that is not faith.

Faith in the finished work of Christ is what I am trying to grasp. I do, at times, feel ineffective and unproductive in my relationship with Christ. So, trying to add goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness and love to my faith does not mean acts that earn me God's favor. 

I think it was Zig Ziglar who said, "If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." What will you seek today? By faith you can aim at several things that God promises to use to make us effective and productive in our knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. Don't aim at nothing, aim at goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness and love. 

Father, help us to walk by faith and may our knowledge of you be effective  and productive. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment