Friday, February 13, 2015

Helpful

It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.
John 6:63

Many moons ago I took up golf. I bought a book by the late great golfer Ben Hogan Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf. It's a great book and helped me a lot. I just had trouble hitting the driver, so, I took  a lesson from this guy at the local golf course. He was no help at all. He messed me up so badly that I couldn't even hit my short irons anymore. 

Shortly after that I moved and I went to another teacher who watched me for a moment and said, "Your thinking way to much. Just think about your wrists..." Then he showed me how to set up to hit my driver and longer irons. Really helpful. 

What does that have to do with John 6:63? Sometimes we hear all kinds of stuff about walking with God and to be frank, it's often more about the flesh than the Spirit. It's rules, legalism, emotionalism, anything but the Spirit. Now, by the Spirit I don't mean warm fuzzy feelings or hyped up emotional reactions. The Spirit is about faith in God, not ourselves. It's about going to Christ for life. It's not about us, it's about Christ. 


No comments:

Post a Comment