Monday, August 25, 2014

No Welcome Mat for That

If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not take him into your house to welcome him. Anyone who welcomes him shares in his wicked work.
2 John :10-11

There are some things you just shouldn't let into your house. When 2 John was written teachers would travel around and stay in peoples houses. So, when John is talking about taking him into you house he meant it quite literally. 

It's telling that he doesn't say to love them and try to convince them of their error(s). He plainly says to not take them in or welcome them. The apostle then says that if you welcome a false teacher you share in their wicked work. This makes me ask myself, "Is there false teachers that I let into my home?" 

It's easy to tell my kids that all the stuff from PBS and some other stations is obviously coming from a humanistic and atheistic point of view. What's not so easy is the many other influences that affect all of us. We are constantly bombarded by depictions of men as not so bright, dogs who have no real control over their desires. Those are not Biblical points of view, by-the-way. That is just one example. TV mini series about the Bible and Jesus that are heavily influenced by liberal theologians water down the reality and truth about Christ. 

I am not one of those people who say to throw out your TV. I can choose what to watch and what is ok for my children to watch. I can talk to my kids about what is said and taught. I can teach my children the truth about God found plainly in the Bible. Frankly, I can be "unwelcoming" to teachings and ideas that do not accept that Jesus came in the flesh and died and rose again for our sins. I admit I sort of mock evolution because it is a cartoon belief. I say cartoon because of the "illustrations" that are used to "prove" that man came from monkey, which came from some fish thing that supposedly came up from the sea and started to walk on the land. There is no welcome mat for false teaching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment