Thursday, August 7, 2014

Love and the KISS principle: Keep It Simple Saint

My mom had this friend who if you said something and she didn't necessarily go along with it would just nod her head and say, "Hmmm...really...OK..." in the most no threatening manner. But, you didn't know if she was agreeing with you or not. It made you think about what you said. What do you think it means to love God and love each other?

Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well. This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.
1 John 5:1-5 (NIV)

I don't know about you, but when I start thinking about what it means to love God and each other, even after reading these verses I find myself trying to explain my actions or reasons for treating others the way I do. I can almost hear, "Hmmm...really...OK..."

Let's go with the KISS principle: Keep It Simple Saint. I think that it was the Apostle John is getting at. If you believe that Jesus is the Christ you're born of God. If you love the father you love his child. If you love God you follow his commands to love one another. If you love God and one another, you will have victory. 

I don't want to get too specific here because I think the Spirit is working in each of us in different ways and what I may need to do to love my wife may be different than what you need to do to love you spouse. I just want you to ask yourself, "Was that in love?" If you have to explain it or justify it, maybe you might want to check yourself.

The point is simple. Love God. Love each other. 

Father, help us to simply love you and each other. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment