Friday, August 29, 2014

Did You Throw Out Your TV?

My people come to you, as they usually do, and sit before you to hear your words, but they do not put them into practice. Their mouths speak of love, but their hearts are greedy for unjust gain. Indeed, to them you are nothing more than one who sings love songs with a beautiful voice and plays an instrument well, for they hear your words but do not put them into practice.
Ezekiel 33:31-32  (NIV)

This is where the rubber meets the road, spiritually speaking, isn't it? I went to church last Sunday, I don't know if I put any of what I heard into practice. 

I'm not into straw man spirituality. I've heard pastors rankle about the evils of TV and R rated movies and challenge the congregation to throw out their TVs if it was causing them to sin. Please, let's get real. I asked one of my pastors if he threw his out. He had just bought a new one. I don't think he chucked his.

Paul, Ephesians 5:6b says that the only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. I guess, in a way, it just boils down to this: I am doing what I am doing just for my self (greed) or am trying to serve others? 

Father, thank you for sending Jesus to die for our sins and show us how to live by faith in love. praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment