Monday, August 4, 2014

Mr. Brow: A Scout is Courteous

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 
Romans 12:17-18 (NIV)


I decided to call him Brow. I thought about scowl, but, that would've been too obvious. You see last week my son went to Boy Scout summer camp at Forest Lawn Scout a Reservation in the San Bernardino Mountains. I attended as an adult leader for his troop. We arrived a week ago on Sunday. After checking in, setting up in our area, and taking the swim test we started mingling around the mess hall and talking to people from other troops. 

I noticed a guy giving me the dirtiest look, scowling at me like I took his sons ice cream cone just as he was about to take the first bite. My buddy, the assistant scoutmaster, said, "What's that guys problem? He looks like he wants to bite our heads off!" I gave a little nod and a smile. He kept scowling. I stared back. He finally turn away, still scowling. 

Because a scout is clean they have daily campsite inspections. My compadre and I volunteered to help. One day I went by the campsite for Brows' troop. Apparently he had demanded that my buddy ask for permission to enter the site the day before, so I announced myself before entering. I had a pleasant conversation about what needed to be done by his troop to achieve a top score. 

On Friday, we had steak (not filet mignon or New York cuts). We had a bottle of A-1 sauce on our table. Brow came by, asked if we we using it, we said no, and he snatched the bottle up, scowling all the way. I said, "You're welcome." A few minutes later he back, set it down rather firmly and declared, "Some words don't come out of my mouth!" As he abruptly turned and marched away. A scout is courteous. 

I saw brow many other times and he scowled even at a kind, "Hello".  My point is that it doesn't matter if someone else has an issue with you or everyone in general, the Bible tells us to live at peace with everyone. Even if, like my "friend" Brow, someone isn't kind or courteous, you still try your best to show the love of Christ. Remember, Christ didn't love us because we were nice, he first loved us when we were his enemies.

Father, help us to love even when we will only receive evil in return. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment