Tuesday, April 19, 2016

If it pleases God, it's all good.

"As for other matters, brothers and sisters, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more."
1 Thessalonians 4:1

About a year ago my teenage daughter was participating in an event and was asked a question and she gave an excellent answer, off the cuff, from her heart. It was a great answer. I was so proud of her, so pleased that she was thinking about others and how she might help someone who was hurting. 

When I read this verse I am struck by the idea that what I do can please God. I know that today I am going to deal with hundreds of different personalities, adults and teenagers. There will be positive and not so positive encounters. My approach and response will either please God or not. My aim: to please God.

Pleasing God is different than making everyone else feel better, even though, pleasing God often means putting other first. Sometimes, when pleasing God means doing the right thing, it means some people will not be happy with that choice. Doing the right thing may mean I admit I was wrong, or I failed. Pleasing God is about doing what we know God would have us do and with the attitude of a servant of the Lord. 

The message of Paul to the Thessalonians rings true for us today, keep living to please God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment