Friday, April 8, 2016

A Little Fear and a Lot of Love


Fear, is good. I have a fear of walking across a busy street into traffic. That's not bad, that's smart. The fear of God is not the fear of a capricious emotional tyrant. The fear of God is that we will put ourselves outside the grace of God by choosing to sin and reaping what we have sown. 

A few months ago I was driving to the funeral of one of my best friends who was also the best man at my wedding. I got a ticket for speeding. My mind was not really on the speed limit, but I knew I was going a little fast. I broke the law and suffered the consequences. Fear of getting a ticket doesn't always stop us from speeding. But, you know when I see kids playing, I don't need a sign that tells me to slow down, I just slow down because I don't want to hurt anyone. 

In the same way the fear of God is more than just the fear of going to hell or being caught or punished. The fear of God is about not wanting to hurt others or God. It's also about knowing he has unfailing love for you. 

Here's the kicker: our hope is not in our goodness or our righteousness, although we seek to live and love righteously. Our hope is in his unfailing love. He died on the cross for our sins and ever lives to intercede for us at the right hand of the Father. He has gone to prepare a place for us. He will come again... that is our hope. He is faithful and he will do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment