Friday, January 29, 2016

Look Where You're Going

Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 
Colossians 3:1-2

Where I live, for many drivers who I share the road with, it seems that turn signals have become optional. Or, for some, activating the turn signal only means they are turning, not necessarily in the direction their turn signal is indicating. What seems to be a much more reliable indicator of which way someone is turning is the direction they are looking. If I can see that the driver is looking right, even though their turn signal points left, they are probably turning right. 

Now, I'm not saying all that just to complain about the way some people drive. What I want to point out is that, for the most part, you go where you look. Naturally, when you turn your head your body follows. Try walking straight while looking ninety degrees to the right or left. Your body naturally starts to go where you are looking. 

Applying that to these wonderful verses in Colossians we understand that if we focus on Christ, on knowing him and loving others like he loved us, we will live as he wants us to live and enjoy the fruit of living in the Spirit. It's not really complicated. But, what about work? Listen, my job isn't studying the Bible. I'm an educator. Later in the chapter Paul tells the Colossians, "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." (Col. 3:17) What I do today, I will do as a servant of Christ, serving other teachers and students. My desire is to be Christlike. What I do may not be "spiritual" but I look to the Lord to give me the strength, wisdom and skill I need to my job to the best of my ability. So, do what you do in the strength of the Lord and then thank him for whatever he does in and through you. Set your mind on things above...

No comments:

Post a Comment