Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Control


"that each of you should learn to control your own body in a way that is holy and honorable" 1 Thessalonians 4:4

I haven't been posting as much lately because I have been heavily invested in teaching a Sunday School class at the church I am a member. It's been a lot of fun and taken much of my time. We've finally reached the point where we can put it all together and really enjoy applying the word of God to our lives. 

One of the tools we use on the first day is connecting to ideas we read in Scripture. Using the term, "that reminds me of" helps us connect to things we read. So, when I read this verse I was reminded of growing up and being taught that I had a choice in how I acted. That choice was usually framed in these words, "How would Jesus...?" 

In verse one of chapter four Paul reminds the Thessalonians that he had instructed them how to live in order to please God. Asking ourselves the question, "Does it please God?" can clarify a lot of issues. I don't want to throw out some guilt bombs to sound spiritual but not actually be meaningful. For example, I don't want to ask, "Does it please God for me to be here?" because I think that is a "gimme" question. We know there are obvious places that would not please God, but, what about going to the mall or to the movies? Too often things turn legalistic at this point. 

Sometimes it's not where you are but how you act once you're there. Buying something is not wrong, if it is within your budget, but, if you use credit are you trusting God (as in being content with what God has given you) or are you worshipping what I call the god-of-I-have-to-have-it-now? It's about trusting God no matter what anyone else is doing around you. Self control is obedience and faith working together to glorify God. The result is peace and power. 

No comments:

Post a Comment