Wednesday, February 27, 2013

WELCOME WITH RESPECT: I Timothy 3:2

People will listen to a man or woman of experience. When Phil Jackson first became the Lakers head coach he showed Shaq his NBA championship rings. Shaq respected that his new coach knew what it took to be a champion. 
"Now an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach". I Timothy 3:2
Respect is a very important word for me. I want my wife and children to respect me. As a leader for my son's Cub Scout Pack and coach for some of his sports teams I need to be respectable. I need to be a man of my word. I think respect has to do with both actions and attitude. If I do my job with skill, that is respectable. We had parent conferences last week at the school I teach at. When I great parents I always try to address them as Ma'am or Sir. That instantly tells them I respect them. I don't care what they look like or where they come from when I address them with respect, they almost always treat me with respect. 

Being hospitable is very much in tune with being respectable. Because being hospitable is able how you treat someone. Making others feel comfortable and welcome is not just about having people over for dinner. Jesus told us to be the servant. Putting other peoples needs before out own is definitely Christlike. I think it is hospitable. And I don't think you need to be an overseer in the church to be hospitable. 

One little aside. I have been to and a part of a few churches. Some are more hospitable than others. Sometimes churches have little times for people to great each other. It is easy to find someone you know but, maybe finding a guest and making them feel welcome would be a great little ministry.

Father, help us to be respectable and hospitable. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment