Tuesday, February 26, 2013

BE ON THE LOOKOUT: I Timothy 3:2

I want to continue to look at these characteristics of a church leader as the characteristics of a godly husband and father. 
"Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach". I Timothy 3:2 
I think it is telling that whenever you have someone commit a heinous crime that the media shows a picture of the killer when they were in elementary school. Then they wonder how that innocent looking child became a mass murderer. I have worked for good while in a middle school with discipline. Ninety-nine percent of the students with behavior issues have a missing or missing in action father. When people question why these children behave without remorse and seem to have very little understanding of right and wrong and no ability to empathize with other human beings, they often find a gap in the parent - child relationship. 

The idea of being temperate and self-controlled has to do with being aware of your own sinful nature, the world we live in (which is darkness) and how it affects you and your marriage and family. The word temperate has the meaning of vigilant with a clear head. Kind of like the idea of being on watch for your family and marriage. You need to first of all have yourself rightly connected to under the reign of Christ. Then you need to be involved in your marriage and in the lives of your children. It's funny that if I ask my wife or my daughter how their day was, they'll tell me, often in detail. My son, on the other hand, does not feel the need to tell me the details. That is why even though I try to be involved with both my children's lives my connection with my son is different.

As a husband and father I need to be aware and proactive as the leader of my home. I know it is easy to not be aware. It is easy to miss what might be really happening in my marriage or with my children. I know my family needs the forgiveness, grace and mercy of God. We need God to reign over us and in us, starting with me. 

For me, I try to talk, listen and pray with and for my family (not necessarily in that order). Even as I write this blog post I am "reminded" of some things with my family I need to attend to a bit more. I encourage you to be aware of what is going on in your marriage and family and to check your yourself with regards to being the shepherd of your home. 

God has called each of men to be the servant-leader of our marriage and family. He will enable you. 

Father, help us to be temperate and self-controlled. Praise be to you in us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment